Monday, March 26, 2012

super alfredo!

We were in Joann's last week when I spotted this fabulous shiny fabric labelled for dancewear/swimwear. Forget that...we knew instantly, it would make a fabulous super hero cape!


The fabric doesn't fray so I just cut as evenly as possible when you have a 5-year old helping. I just kept it a rectangle for simplicity's sake. On one top corner, I sewed a star button. In the other corner, a loop of elastic. I thought about putting a magnet or velcro closure, for safety, but I decided this arrangement is fine, between the elasticiy of the cape and the button loop.


I told Alfredo that we could make some for all his friends that he runs around with (literally) after school. (For about 30 minutes after school lets out, on nice days, a bunch of friends race and chase and hoot and holler around the churchyard) But my very nice little boy said what he would really like is if I could make a cape for each of his classmates. So nice! So yesterday, that's exactly what we did. It only took a couple of hours. We made them in red, blue, and gold. The gold ones were backed in black so they looked extra cool.

The only thing is that this fabric isn't cheap...it's about $16-$20/yard. I can make 4/yard and I had a coupon for 25% off the entire purchase...so they ended up being about $3.50 each. Not bad, if you're just making a few...but 20?


He took them in this morning and he is so excited to share them. He's going to give them to his teacher and she'll decide how/when to distribute them. I sure hope they like them.

p.s. I asked the teacher about the closure and she said that she'd make sure they were closely supervised. If I were making these for a younger set, I would definitely use velcro or a magnet.

4 comments:

Donna VW said...

What is better than a super hero cape? My sister has made these for years for the nieces and nephews. She uses a cheap headband (not the kind that connects like a rubber band, but the plastic type that has an opening) for the collar and sews it into the fabric. That way if the cape is pulled or stepped on it just pops off and no one gets choked.

Stef said...

headbands-what a brilliant idea!
I miss these days tremendously.
Next time you see some gloves (Especially those vintage long leather gloves) snag them for your superhero. I don't know what it is about preschoolers and gloves.

Debby said...

So cute and how nice of you to make them for his friends. Every little guy needs a super hero cape.

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

Hi there! I just purchased one of your inspiring magazines (spring issue)!!! :) Thanks so much, glad I found it! :)