Friday, September 21, 2007

happiness is...

Okay, do you remember that "Happiness Is..." song from You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown? My sister played it on the piano (I never really got the hang of playing both hands together because my piano teacher fell asleep in the middle of most of my lessons.) We used to sing it since we had the sheet music with the lyrics in the piano bench. Here's the first verse, in case your memory needs a little help...

Happiness is finding a pencil
Pizza with sausage, telling the time
Happiness is learning to whistle
Tying your shoe for the very first time
Happiness is playing the drum in your own school band
And happiness is walking hand in hand

For me, this morning, happiness is...



creating a sweet little village of glittery houses. I have paint everywhere (including on my foot!) and I couldn't be happier. I started to get a little messy so I'm taking a little "walk away" break.

I'm working on this village for Silver Bella, which is quickly sneaking up on me as I mentioned in my last post. I'm so nervous about vendor night. I'm nervous that I'll show up with the same sort of thing that everyone else is selling. I'm nervous that I'll ship everything there only to have it get lost in the mail. I'm nervous that I won't be able to make the display as charming as I'd like it to be since I have to either ship or carry everything with me on the plane. I'm nervous that nobody will be interested in what I bring. I'm nervous that I'll unpack a heap of broken up things. Nervous, nervous, nervous.

But I'm not nervous when I'm making...I'm just so happy. When I'm fixing up these houses and (my very favorite part) decorating them with little people and animals, I feel just like little girl Amy playing. I hope that fun and love and care shows through and adds to the charm.

I'm going to start signing the houses. It feels a bit funny to do this but I've had lots of requests from customers who are starting a collection. I have a few other tricks up my sleeve to make these houses the best yet.

First I think I'll wash this layer of paint off all the places I missed in the sink and then head out to think ink store to fuss at the guy for selling me "Epson compatible" ink that is not recognized by my printer. And since he didn't have the yellow cartridge in stock, I have to go to store after store searching for it. I do hope I find it at the first place I stop. Staples says that they guarantee they have all the inks in stock but they are big fat liars who point to the tiny writing excluding them from having to stock my ink.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your offerings at vendor night will make a gorgeous presentation, will be well-received by everyone, and will be unique to you. The way I figure it is that if it comes from your heart, then it's truly fabulous.

Your little houses are adorable and I agree that it's a good thing to sign them.

I know it's frustrating to find what you need and be given the wrong item but I have to admit that I laughed over your last comment about Staples.

Vanessa said...

Dear Amy,
My first thought is why are you so nervous? I have been a lurker at your blog for almost a year now. You have nothing to worry about. Having now been in the arts and crafts scene for over thirty years, your inspiration is very unique, everything you do is top notch. I am sure even if you had limited items with you, you would still make it look like magic and everyone would buy. You have a natural gift, stop worrying, and enjoy yourself! Vanessa
PS sign your work! who knows how famous you will be!

Unknown said...

What a nice blast to the past with the Happiness Is song... And, I found it hysterical that your piano teacher was asleep most of the time! I can't remember mine doing that and she was older. However, I was usually so nervous that I hadn't practiced I may not have noticed! I teach Voice Lessons... Falling asleep would probably amuse my students.

Your village is shaping up nicely!!!

Best Blessings, KJ

Alison Gibbs said...

How gorgeous those little houses will be when finished. Can't wait to see the pics you post when you are done.
Alison.

Dorian Fletcher said...

Your little houses are just charming - I like that you have "elevated" them to new status by putting them on pedestals. Do you make your own houses or are they vintage ones that you have repurposed? Either or, they are just lovely!

Anonymous said...

Home sweet home!

Tammy Gilley said...

I'm nervous, too. About all those same things...just thought you'd like knowing you're not alone. :) xoxo

p.s. Got my "littles" the other day, and they are FAB!

charlotte said...

all the same worries here, but your things are adorable and uniquely you! can't wait to meet you there! xoC

Mary Lou Weidman said...

Oh My Goodness, I adore those little house treasures. I used to have houses like these on my tree when I was a little girl and this photo brought back lovely memories. Keep up the wonderful, joyful work. YOU are a true artist.
Mary Lou Weidman
Marylouweidman.blogspot.com

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

OMG.... I am sooooo nervous too!!! You basically summed up everything that I'm feeling too! I'm glad to know I'm not alone! I am positive that SB will be fantastic once we get there! I am so looking forward to meeting you and seeing your beautiful houses in person!!!!
Hugs!

Saucy said...

I've been thinking about that song lately too... did you have the book, "Happiness is a Warm Puppy" by Charles M. Schultz? I carried it everywhere... and lately, carrying my puppy everywhere... well...

Of course you should sign your little houses. They're your creations, aren't they? Pack your nerves away dear Amy, all will be fine.

kari and kijsa said...

This is so unique! We know you will do well. Thanks for sharing your creativity. We will be checking back!

kari and kijsa

Runspud said...

Surely when the nervous twinge kicks in..you remember how much we all LOVE your creations...and the "handmade" part does make them very very special. See you at Silver Bella!

Anonymous said...

Do you have a Sam's closeby? They have the Epson inks in a set/6cartridges, including black. And the price is better than when I ordered it from Epson online.
AND, Promise! We will love ALL that you bring, and if it's broken, we'll try to fix it. I just can't wait to see all the creativity spilled out on the vendor tables....not too long now...

Anonymous said...

Your little villages and homes will be darling! I've loved these since I was a little girl and my mother displayed her set (from Japan) every year at Christmas! Wish I could go to Silver Bella, but I'm way over on the west coast!

Cupcake said...

Amy,
The village looks charming!!! I'm inspired.

And about Staples. They are my closest office supply store but I avoid them whenever possible. I have found them to be less than helpful EVERY SINGLE TIME! It is like one of their employee requirements is "must be unhelpful with a superior attitude".

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, Do you remember the last time you were nervous about a fair and it turned out better than expected? Your work is wonderful and unique, there is nothing to worry about...they'll go like hotcakes. Just have faith and enjoy the creating process.

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I look forward to seeing these little cuties in person!

Anonymous said...

oh sweet Amy,
Don't be nervous, everything you do is darling, and the way you display things...perfect.
you couldn't do something badly if you tried.
You are an inspiration to many and I'm sure your display and projects will be absolutely adorable!
take a deep relaxing breath!
you'll be great!
:)
xo
c.

Anonymous said...

I am right with ya on the nerves for Silverbella Vendor night! I am so excited that you will be selling your fabulous houses. Hopefully I will get set up in time to do a bit of shopping. Your work is fabulous! See you in November

christine said...

i remember singing "happiness is" in elementary school with my 3rd grade class. it's one of my fondest childhood memories and that little tune still makes me smile.