Tuesday, October 24, 2006

nice works

I've been thinking, my friends. I'm so grateful to all of your nice comments that you've left concerning that unpleasant comment from anonymous. And I keep thinking how wonderful it is that all of the nice people are congregating here in blogland.

What if we quietly started a little revolution, my friends? A Nice Revolution. Little by little, one meanie at a time, we might be able to change the world. Okay, maybe not the big WORLD, but we can change our little worlds. And then maybe someday some of our little worlds will bump into each other and we'll spread. Not like wildfire, I'm sure. More like molasses pouring out and spreading patiently.

The best way to spread the niceness is to be nice. And since you all are so nice, you may have found the same to be true for you, in your own lives, that when you are nice...when you choose nice...people are generally nice in return. Sometimes it really does seem to floor them when you are nice, doesn't it?

Like all revolutions, I think we need buttons and bumper stickers. Just for fun, I made some for us. Click here to see.

It's not necessary, goodness knows, to have any of these accessories in order to join the movement. All you need is a sweet smile and patience and the willingness to offer the other cheek.

I think I will make up some membership cards for us too. So that we can be card-carrying Nice People. What do you think?

19 comments:

Saucy said...

You can count me in! I was very distressed about your anonymous meanie. Nice really does work, Amy, you are right.

Anonymous said...

Amy, you are the QUEEN of NICE. We bow to you! Honestly, though, it's a great idea, every little nice thing we do spreads more ripples than we think.

Funky Finds said...

Love the nice works goodies! Great idea :)

Anonymous said...

Nice does work...pass it on! Wonderful idea!!

Junie Moon said...

This is a glorious idea! Nice does indeed work. It always discombobulates me when people are mean--it's totally out of my ability to understand why they behave so horridly. I try to remember that maybe they're having a bad time in life but it still hurts, doesn't it? Anyway, I'm going to go do something nice for someone and do so anonymously.

Anonymous said...

I love it! I tried and tried to post a comment of support when you blogged about Ms Anonymous....but for some reason blogger won't let me comment on that post. Very weird! But I do still want you to know that i think you are just delightful! So refreshing to find someone who is truly as kind-hearted as you are. I'm happy to join in your little revolution. Not that I am ever intentionally un-kind....but I could certainly be more conscious of it. :)

Anonymous said...

Sign me up!!.....Please :) Looking forward to the avalanche of pink buttons throughout the country!

Anonymous said...

I want to be nice too! Some days I am better at being nice than others, but I'm gonna try extra hard every day.

Lovie

Christy said...

When I taught 4th/5th graders (before becoming a SAHM) I tried to instill in them the importance of being nice to one another. How the words you say today can haunt someone even when they become an adult. You know what? They seemed to really GET IT...too bad some 20-30 something year olds can't get it.

Mean people really stink!

Tiffany said...

what a wonderful idea! and i love the molasses image - it's so much more resounding. wildfires can be snuffed out but molasses sticks to everything!

i'm in for sure!

:^)
Tiffany*

Tongue in Cheek Antiques said...

I'll join hands in this circle of good hope!

Anonymous said...

Is it any surprise that you would take that lemon and make the sweetest lemonade ever? What a doll!!

Such a sweetheart!!

Membership cards sound just perfect!!

Have a great day Amy!!
xoxo Jenny

Debi Ward Kennedy said...

Amy, once again you have turned a situation around and made it beautiful!!! You are amazing...and yes, please, DO sign me up for Club Nice!

Remember that old schoolyard chant: "Sticks & Stones will break my bones, but words can never hurt me?" WHo on Earth made that up? It is sooooo wrong! Words do more damage than anything else. And a kind word is so much more easily given...

Thanks for reminding us that NICE MATTERS!!!!

Anonymous said...

yay fo being nice :)

Waterfall said...

Bah, humbug.

Just kidding! I love you!

Anonymous said...

I want to join in too ;-) Sweden could need a little kindness as well ;-)

It would be great if there was some sort of banner that could be used on our blogs... Because there are so many wonderful, amazing and kind bloggers who shouldn`t have to tolerate things like that comment!

Anonymous said...

A couple of weeks ago I hung a little hand-made sign in my kitchen that says "Be nice or leave." It's very cute, kind of primitive but gets the point across.

maggiegracecreates said...

Nice does work - I love this idea. Have a beautiful day.

Anonymous said...

Love it, Amy! I agree you can make the sweetest lemonade out of a sour old lemon...kudos!